Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Quinoa Salad

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is such a versatile ingredient.I love using Quinoa in different forms,my favorite use of quinoa is in salads,it adds a little texture and I like that you can get creative with it,by adding your favorite add ins!


I had an abundance of apples,pomegranate seeds and pecans at home,I wanted to incorporate all these ingredients and make a simple meal.I like the simplicity of this dish and this would be a perfect side for the Summer BBQ's.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 small Apple (diced)
  • 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
  • 1/4 cup of Raisins ( you can use craisins instead of raisins) 
  • A handful of Pecans (chopped)
Dressing
  • 2 tablespoons of Honey ( I used raw organic honey-adjust to desired sweetness level)
  • 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • Salt to taste

Method :
  1. Take 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa,wash it with a couple of changes of water.
  2. Drain all the water.
  3. Add 1 cup of water,a little salt and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a Pot.( you can add your favorite broth too and cook the quinoa in broth if you like)
  4. Bring the water to a boil,once the water reaches a boil add your quinoa.
  5. Cook this on medium-low heat covered,till all your water evaporates and the quinoa is cooked.
  6. Once the quinoa is cooked,spread the hot quinoa on a tray or big plate and let it cool down.
  7. Add the diced apples,pomegranate seeds,raisins or craisins and pecans to the quinoa.
  8. To make your dressing mix olive oil and honey till they are both combined,then add the lemon juice and mix well.Add salt to taste and pour this dressing over the salad.
Tip :
  • If you like more dressing,you can add your favorite dressing to it,my favorite dressing is the organic lemon seasame dressing and I love adding that to my salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment