Saturday, November 9, 2013

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

I've had two bananas that were on their way to the garbage and I really wanted to salvage them.I researched my trusty friend the internet and found the William Sonoma banana pancake recipe, I switched some of the ingredients to make it my own healthy version and the verdict was 50-50!

My 6 year old is not a fan of bananas,so I thought I would sneak these pancakes in,he took two bites and asked me if I had added bananas in it!!! My two year old ate them loving every bite of it,so if you love bananas this one is a keeper!

These subtle flavored banana pancakes go really well with maple syrup.


Ingredients :
  • 1 & 1/2 cups whole wheat flour ( I used the stone ground whole wheat flour)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sugar or honey)
  • 3 tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil
  • 2& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 small, ripe banana, peeled
  • 1 & 1/4 cups Vanilla Coconut  milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Maple syrup for serving 
  • Sliced banana for garnishing
Method :
  1. Add the tablespoon of vinegar to your milk and set aside and let it "sour".
  2. In a bowl add your dry ingredients whole wheat flour,coconut sugar,baking powder and salt and mix them with a fork till they are well incorporated.
  3. In another bowl mash the bananas with a fork,add the soured milk,eggs and vanilla extract and stir till they are well blended.
  4. Add your melted butter to this mixture and blend it.
  5. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients until it forms a batter.(add more milk if you find your batter to be too thick)
  6. Heat your pancake pan on medium heat and spoon in 1/4 cupful of the batter.
  7. Lower the heat to medium low (these pancakes brown really fast,I burnt my first)
  8. When the tiny holes start to form,carefully slide the spatula and turn them over and cook them till they are golden brown on both sides. 
  9. Enjoy these pancakes with a dollop of butter and maple syrup or honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment