Monday, October 14, 2013

Chickpea Flour Crepe ( La Socca)

Chickpea flour has a nutty taste and it takes a little getting used to.I'm not a big fan of the flour,although this recipe definitely surprised me.I used my crepe as a pizza base and added my favorite toppings and viola tasted wonderful.The kids used their crepe for breakfast and dunked it in their sunny side up eggs.I think this crepe is versatile and can be used any which way you want and can be eaten plain as a snack too.

Socca as its known in France,lives in street stalls and marketplaces as a favorite early morning food of the fishermen,laborers and shoppers who regularly purchase a hearty piece of it,wrapped in a paper napkin. (source William Sonoma cookbook)



Ingredients :
  • 1 and half cups(8 oz) of chickpea flour (garbanzo beans flour)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste

Method :
  1. Put 2 cups (16 fl oz) water in a bowl,then whisk in the chickpea flour,olive oil and salt,continuing to whisk until no lumps remain.Let stand for 30 minutes.
  2. Place 12 by 16 inch heavy duty baking sheet in the oven.
  3. Preheat the oven to 500 degree F.
  4. Remove the baking sheet from the oven,brush with oil,then quickly pour the batter onto the sheet.It should be about 1/8 inch (3mm) thick
  5. Burst the bubbles in the batter with the tip of a knife.Turn the setting to broil and slip the baking sheet under the broiler.
  6. Cook until the entire surface of the crepe is golden and is lightly charred in places,the original time on the recipe said 2-3 minutes ( mine didn't char too well,I'm thinking my old oven didn't broil well,I charred it on my iron skillet on both sides for a quick minute on medium high heat)
  7. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into squares and rectangles.Dust generously with pepper and serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment